Ann Arbor Montessori Learning Center respects the individual’s right to privacy. The School is committed to protect the confidentiality of personal information thus it has adapted necessary measures to secure it. The School is bound to comply with the Data Privacy Act of 2012 (RA 10173).
AAM will not release or sell personal information it collects and processes to any third party without consent or as required by law.
AAM collects, maintains and use student’s personal information to process application, registration, enrollment, administration and ensure that the student is provided with the needed facilities and services.
Student personal information are stored manually and/or electronically and is maintained by AAM. It forms part of the student’s Official School Education Records. These include, but are not limited to, the following: admissions records maintained by the Admissions Officer; academic records maintained by the Registrar; Scholarship and Grants records maintained by the School Administrator; Behavioral and Disciplinary records maintained by the Principal; guidance records maintained by the Guidance Office.
Student Personal Information shall include the following:
· Telephone/Mobile Number
· Date and Place of birth
· Email address
· Class schedules
· Dates of attendance
· Grade level classification
· Previous educational institution attended
· Awards/Honors/Scholarship Grants received
· Date of Graduation
· Performance records and participation in competitive events and officially recognized activities, sports, and organization
· Recordings from closed-circuit television
· Height and weight information
· Photographs/Videos/Images of individuals or groups
Student personal information will be used for the following purposes:
· Processing of student application and enrollment
· Maintaining student records
· Managing and evaluating student’s academic progress
· Providing personal advice and support
· Providing access to campus, library, and other facilities/services
· Maintaining safety and security
· Communicating official school announcements
· Marketing and publicity of the school
· Historical and statistical data
· Research for improvement of programs, services and facilities
· Application/Renewal of Scholarships/Grants
· Joining of school recognized competitions and athletic leagues
· Maintaining directories and alumni records
· Responding to verifications whether an individual is a bona fide student or a graduate of the school and background checks
· Posting and/or publishing of academic, co-curricular achievements in school’s announcement boards, websites, social media sites, and publications
Sensitive Personal Information
AAM provides inclusive education thus would need to collect and process sensitive personal information such as ethnicity, disability, disciplinary and/or guidance records and other health data for the purposes of being able to provide equal opportunity, access to some courses and support students when appropriate. In such case, expressed consent is required from the student.
Students with additional support needs as a result of a disability, specific learning difficulty or medical condition are strongly encouraged to declare such information to the School.
Disclosure of Personal Information
AAM shall only disclose your personal information contained in the student’s education records when there is a written consent of the student, except when the disclosure is:
To school officials who have a legitimate educational interest in the records.
A school official is:
· A person employed by the School in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, security services, or support staff position, including health or medical staff and also clerical staff who have access to educational record.
· A contractor, consultant, volunteer or other service provider with whom the School has contracted as its agent to provide a service that would otherwise performed by a School employee, such as (but not limited to) an attorney, auditor, healthcare provider, and security agency.
· A student serving on an official committee, such as a grievance committee, or who is assisting another school official in performing his/her tasks.
· A person serving on the Board of Trustees.
A school official has a legitimate education interest if the official is:
· Performing a task that is specified in his/her position description or contract agreement.
· Performing task related to discipline of a student.
· Providing a service or benefit relating to the student or student’s family, such as health care, counseling, school placement, or financial aid.
· Maintaining the safety and security of the campus.
Student personal information is shared internally within the School when appropriate to meet legitimate purposes. Data will only be shared between associates who have the official need to have access to it.
Student personal information is also shared externally with the following:
1. Government agencies like the Department of Education (DepEd) for the purpose of regulation and compliance of the law.
2. Accrediting agencies such as PAASCU
3. Athletic leagues (PSAP etc.) for purpose of eligibility
4. Scholarship/Grants Benefactors for purpose of application/renewal
5. Educational Partners or Linkages
Release or sharing of personal information which do not need student consent:
1. In case of serious security, and health emergencies to protect life, and health of the student and others.
2. To comply with judicial order or lawfully issued subpoenas
AAM occasionally will use personal information data for research and may select information from a group of students. Identification of individual will be kept anonymous.
Academic records of students and graduates shall be retained perpetually. Some personal information may be retained indefinitely for historical and statistical purposes. Data will only be retained until they are still relevant for the School. In case when a retention period is provided, all records after such period will be securely disposed of. For unsuccessful school entrance application, personal information contained herein will be securely disposed of one year from date of application.
A student can have access to his/her own personal information kept by the School and request a copy of which by filling up and submitting to the Data Privacy Office an “Access to Information’ form for which he/she will be charged a reasonable fee.
Data Accuracy, Correction, Blocking, Erasure
It is the duty of the School to ensure that data it collects is accurate and has been processed fairly and lawfully. The School will annually post reminders for students to update and verify their personal information to keep them accurate. Student may object to the processing of his/her personal data, request to access his/her personal information, and/or have it corrected, erased, or blocked based on reasonable grounds. The School will act on the request in accordance to School’s policies and procedure.
Data breach refers to the accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, unauthorized disclosure of, or access to, personal data transmitted, stored, or otherwise processed;
In case of breach, AAM will take the necessary steps to mitigate untoward effects of such breach. Any data security breach that comes to the knowledge of the School will be recorded and reported as required by law. If there is strong suspicion that breach affects student personal information, the School through the DPO will immediately notify student of such breach in an appropriate manner.
If student strongly believes that his/her personal information which is stored and processed by the School has been compromised, he shall file a written complaint to the School’s Data Privacy Officer (DPO) for proper and immediate action.
Amendment/Modification of Data Privacy Policies
The School reserves the right to modify/amend this Policy and Terms of Agreement at any time in its sole discretion. It will publish notice of this, by announcement through the official AAM email accounts, social medial sites, or announcement boards.
Queries and complaints can be directed to the Data Privacy Officer